Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 mins
Cook 16 mins
- 4 (1/2 lb) trout fillets
- 4 fluid ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (Optional)
- 2 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 fluid ounces dark rum or 3 fluid ounces cognac
Assorted Fresh Herbs
- Combine the ingredients of the lemon-onion baste and mix thoroughly.
- Grill the fillets over medium hot coals, basting twice on each side with the lemon-onion baste.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes on each side, turning once.
- Cover a hot platter with herbs and place on it the fillets from the grill.
- Sprinkle more herbs on top of the fillets.
- Pour the rum or cognac over the fish and (CAREFULLY) ignite.
- The herbs and the booze will give the fish a subtle irresistible flavor.
Oh Boy!! This is great dish. I thought it rather appropriate dish to serve for the 4 th July. We had our own personal "fireworks" at the table. The presentation of this dish does not out weigh the flavour of the meal. Just delish. The lemon-onion baste is great. Please keep the sugar in the baste folks when you cook this recipe. It is a must!! I cooked trout fillets and used Cognac to "burn" the fish, so to speak. ;-) I had an abundance of lemon thyme so I used that to cover the platter and then covered the fish with the mixture of herbs. It is such a simple dish to prepare and everyone at the table thought I have gone to a lot of trouble. Thank you for posting this recipe. P.S. Mille® ™, the last time I ate Trout was 25 years ago and I ended up in hospital with food poisoning for a week. So a personal thank you, your recipe got me back to eating Trout again and made me realise what I have been missing by leaving trout out of my diet. Hugs!!
Have you tried this dish??