Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Found online; posted by Hey Hey Bar and Grill, German Village in Columbus, Ohio. Posting for ZWT6 (Germany) Prep/cooing time does not include time needed to chill the sausage mixture.
- 226.79 g sausage, bulk
- 59.14 ml onion (chopped)
- 453.59 g can sauerkraut
- 29.58 ml breadcrumbs (fine, dry)
- 113.39 g cream cheese (softened)
- 29.58 ml parsley (finely snipped)
- 14.79 ml sweet-hot mustard
- 0.25 ml garlic salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 78.07-118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml water
- 78.07-118.29 ml fine dry breadcrumb
- cooking oil, for deep fat frying
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown, breaking sausage into small pieces; drain fat.
- Drain sauerkrat, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sauerkraut, sausage mixture, the 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Put flour in a shallow container.
- In another shallow container, beat eggs and water until combined.
- Put bread crumbs in a third container.
- Using about 2 tablespoons for each, shape sauerkraut mixture into balls Roll balls in flour, then in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
- Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat (365 degrees) for about 2 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from fat with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a baking sheet with sides; keep warm in a 275 degree oven Makes 24 to 30 balls.