1/1 Photo of Hey Hey Sauerkraut Balls
Found online; posted by Hey Hey Bar and Grill, German Village in Columbus, Ohio. Posting for ZWT6 (Germany) Prep/cooing time does not include time needed to chill the sausage mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g sausage, bulk
- 59.14 ml onion (chopped)
- 453.59 g can sauerkraut
- 29.58 ml breadcrumbs (fine, dry)
- 113.39 g cream cheese (softened)
- 29.58 ml parsley (finely snipped)
- 14.79 ml sweet-hot mustard
- 0.25 ml garlic salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 78.07-118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml water
- 78.07-118.29 ml fine dry breadcrumb
- cooking oil, for deep fat frying
- 1In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown, breaking sausage into small pieces; drain fat.
- 2Drain sauerkrat, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine sauerkraut, sausage mixture, the 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic salt, and pepper.
- 4Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- 5Put flour in a shallow container.
- 6In another shallow container, beat eggs and water until combined.
- 7Put bread crumbs in a third container.
- 8Using about 2 tablespoons for each, shape sauerkraut mixture into balls Roll balls in flour, then in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
- 9Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat (365 degrees) for about 2 minutes or until brown.
- 10Remove from fat with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- 11Transfer to a baking sheet with sides; keep warm in a 275 degree oven Makes 24 to 30 balls.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hey Hey Sauerkraut Balls
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.7
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.5 mg
- Sodium 775.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: