Member #610488's Note:
This simple recipe turns out a delicious dessert or salad fit for company. We serve it when the family gets together as a simple dessert along with berries that are in season. This recipe requires a jello or salad mold. Mixture timing does not include refrigeration time. NOTE: Have taken a look at recipe again based on Chef with no Name review and agree. Have modified recipe to reflect review.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour cold water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the applesauce, sugar, apricot preserves, rum and lemon juice.
- 3Heat gelatin in microwave until just under boiling and add to the applesauce mixture. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- 4Chill in refrigerator until mixture starts to gel, stirring occasionally.
- 5Meanwhile, lightly oil jello/salad mold with cooking oil (do not use olive oil). Set aside to drain.
- 6When mixture is starting to set, add the egg whites and beat with mixer until mixture is very thick and piles softly (10-14 min). Turn into the mold.
- 7Chill in refrigerator until firm (4-5 hrs).
- 8When ready to serve, unmold onto chilled serving plate and garnish around the base of the mold with fresh fruit in season.
Nutritional Facts for Hexenschnee (Witches' Snow)
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g