Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This simple recipe turns out a delicious dessert or salad fit for company. We serve it when the family gets together as a simple dessert along with berries that are in season. This recipe requires a jello or salad mold. Mixture timing does not include refrigeration time. NOTE: Have taken a look at recipe again based on Chef with no Name review and agree. Have modified recipe to reflect review.
- Pour cold water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften.
- In a large bowl, mix the applesauce, sugar, apricot preserves, rum and lemon juice.
- Heat gelatin in microwave until just under boiling and add to the applesauce mixture. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chill in refrigerator until mixture starts to gel, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, lightly oil jello/salad mold with cooking oil (do not use olive oil). Set aside to drain.
- When mixture is starting to set, add the egg whites and beat with mixer until mixture is very thick and piles softly (10-14 min). Turn into the mold.
- Chill in refrigerator until firm (4-5 hrs).
- When ready to serve, unmold onto chilled serving plate and garnish around the base of the mold with fresh fruit in season.
Overkill on the gelatin and sugar both - cut them by half for better consistency and flavor. 1/4 oz = 1 envelope is enough to get 1 c of liquid (for reference, that's double the gelatin used for jello). The 2oz=8 envelopes recommended here would harden 8c of liquid - this recipe has just 3 cups.
I scaled this recipe in half as it is just me and the kids. We all really liked it! I made my life very easy by using a purchased (German) applesauce, and it came together in no time at all. Nice and light.
ZWT4: My daughter & I made this for the Cooking with Kids Challenge. She liked it! It was a fun recipe to make together!