1 hr 15 mins
Yes, it's really their only name! It's a tremendously popular cookie or tartlet, often found in home industry outlets. They were named after a prime minister of South Africa (1924 -1939), J B M Hertzog. Must have been his favourite teatime snack! Please note that no South African dessicated coconut is sweetened.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g flour, unsifted
- 25 g superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 125 g butter, room temp
- 3 large egg yolks, from very large eggs
- 15 ml water
- 4 -6 tablespoons apricot jam, fine
- 3 large egg whites, from very large eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 500 ml desiccated coconut
- 1Sift together the flour, superfine (caster) sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 2Rub the butter lightly into the flour with fingertips until like crumbs.
- 3Beat egg yolks lightly with the water, and add.
- 4Mix until a soft, manageable dough forms. Add a tiny bit more water if the dough is too firm.
- 5Knead this dough well, cover, and set aside.
- 6Heat oven to 180 deg C/350 deg F.
- 7Grease the hollows of patty pan tins, or spray with nonstick spray. (I'm talking about the shallow hollows -- not deep ones like for muffins).
- 8Roll the dough out thinly on a floured surface.
- 9Press out circles large enough to form adequate pastry crusts for the patty hollows.
- 10Line the patty hollows with the pastry.
- 11Put a small blob of jam in each crust -- about 3/4 teaspoon.
- 12Whip the egg whites until quite stiff.
- 13Slowly add the sugar and whisk well after each addition.
- 14Stir in the dessicated coconut.
- 15Put spoonsful of this filling in the patty hollows over the jam blobs. Try to do this neatly as it affects the final shape of the cookie.
- 16Bake the cookies 20 - 25 minutes in centre of oven.
- 17Cool slightly in the pans, then lift out and cool on wire racks.
- 18About 30 cookies.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hertzoggies (Cookies!)
Serving Size: 1 (1058 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 107.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g