Recipe by Hoddevik
A very rich chocolate cake perfect for chocolate lovers! Frost with Hershey's recipe for "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting (recipe included here). I've also included directions for cake variations including 1 pan cake, 3 layer cake, bundt cake and cupcakes.
Top Review by mlalex2002
Don't bother with more complicated cake recipes, this simple recipe is the ultra moist, deep chocolate flavored cake you have been looking for. I finally settled on only this recipe and have never made another chocolate cake for years now ( and I'm very picky)! Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa, Hershey's
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa, Hershey's
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate frosting.
- "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
- Cake Variations:.
- One-Pan cake: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
- Three Layer Cake: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
- Bundt Cake: Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
- Cupcakes: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. Makes about 30 cupcakes.