Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This frosting is so delicious, and great for piping on cupcakes or spreading on a cake. It is directly from my Hershey's cookbook, and the same one is currently also on their website. I thought I'd post it here, because sometimes the website ones change.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add a small amount of additional milk, if needed.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Tip: If the frosting is too thin to spread or pipe, you can put it in the refrigerator to thicken for a little bit, take it out, and then stir so it becomes creamy again.
Used this with Hershey's perfectly chocolate chocolate cake for my son's birthday. Wonderful flavor, but I had to make a half batch more to get the 9 inch layer cake covered. I also forgot to add the vanilla--a complete oversight--but it was still very tasty without it!
This review is going to be a bit confusing,I first made this recipe on 3/2/2006. I first saw it posted by DiScharf. But her recipe is no longer on this site,but strangely enough my photos which were posted to that particular recipe on 3/2/2006 are on this recipe. So I'm redoing my review. I've made this recipe SEVERAL times over the last 10 years and found it to be the best chocolate cake there ever was. And anytime I need a chocolate this will Be my " go to " recipe. " Keep Smiling :) "
Great recipe. ..just need double for 2 layer cake