Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This frosting is so delicious, and great for piping on cupcakes or spreading on a cake. It is directly from my Hershey's cookbook, and the same one is currently also on their website. I thought I'd post it here, because sometimes the website ones change.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add a small amount of additional milk, if needed.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Tip: If the frosting is too thin to spread or pipe, you can put it in the refrigerator to thicken for a little bit, take it out, and then stir so it becomes creamy again.
Used this with Hershey's perfectly chocolate chocolate cake for my son's birthday. Wonderful flavor, but I had to make a half batch more to get the 9 inch layer cake covered. I also forgot to add the vanilla--a complete oversight--but it was still very tasty without it!
Great recipe. ..just need double for 2 layer cake
I LOVE the flavor and creaminess of this frosting but it is not enough for a two layer cake, even if you use it sparingly and who wants to do that????