1/6 Photos of Hershey's Old Fashioned Rich Cocoa Fudge
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
This is a crumbly, sugary old fashion fudge....from the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. Cook time is cooling time. If you are having trouble with it "setting up", you probably didn't cook it long enough. I have learned (the hard way!) to not trust my candy thermometer and to use to soft ball stage water test to make sure it is the right temperature. Even under cooking it by 2-3° will result in a soft, sticky mess. It still taste good though. :) Some good suggestions from reviewers: (I highly recommend reading through all the reviews before making this fudge!) - don't try to bring up temp too quickly - a large shallow saucepan works better than a deeper one
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter foil.
- 2In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
- 4Boil without stirring, to 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (or until syrup, when dropped in very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of pan. (This can take 20-30 minutes).
- 5Remove from heat. Add butter & vanilla.
- 6DO NOT STIR! Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees F (lukewarm). (This can take 2 to 2-1/2 hours).
- 7Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens & loses some of its gloss. (This can take 15-20 minutes. It really works best if you have someone to 'tag-team' with.) It starts to look more like frosting than a thick syrup when it is ready.
- 8Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool.
- 9Cut into squares.
- 10Store wrapped loosely in foil in the refrigerator.
- 11*it is very important not to use a wire whisk or the fudge will not set up. Also just stir gently, even though the cocoa will stay floating on top, it will mix in as the mixture heats up.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hershey's Old Fashioned Rich Cocoa Fudge
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.2
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 23.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 0.6 g