Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This cake is a favorite of my mother's. Wonderfully light & moist with lots of milk chocolate flavor. It was given to her by a friend out of a (maybe) church recipe book. It was copyrighted in 1955, and the original recipe calls for "8 plain Hershey bars (5-cent size)", so we have to now guess at the amount of chocolate. A standard size Hershey bar (43 grams per bar) works great. It is cheaper to buy Hershey bars in 1/2 lb. or more blocks (I found these at Wal-Mart)(You need a total of 344 g).
- Preheat oven to 300°F Grease 10" tube pan or 2 loaf pans.
- Melt chocolate at 50% power for 2 minutes in microwave, then stir every 30 seconds (at 50% power) until melted.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each egg.
- Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- In small bowl, sift together the flower, baking powder, & salt.
- In separate small bowl, stir buttermilk and baking soda together.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately in thirds; avoid overmixing.
- When batter is smooth, add pecans.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean, aobut 1 hour 45 mins for tube pan, about 1 hour 10 minutes for loaf pans.
- Cool 10 minutes on rack in pan, then turn out cake to rack and cool completely.
- Needs no frosting!
Very lovely tasting cake. I put a milk chocolate frosting on it and had a piece tonight. The cake is moist and delicious, It may not need frosting for some people, but we are a" frosting" family here.The only thing was the cake did not rise in the middle and was made exactly as listed. I used a 9x13 pan. I had the oven on 350 so that is the only thing I can think of, but I have made many cakes at that standard temperature.The size of the pan should not matter either. Oh well, it is yummy anyhow.... thankyou for the recipe.
I found this recipe on here after searching for Milk chocolate cake because that is what my son asked me to make for his 12th birthday. I made it and the cake itself was so moist and delicious without frosting, I love this recipe I will definately be making this again and again.