Recipe by Lydia's Mama
One night I was craving chocolate cake, but we didn't have a mix and I didn't feel like going to the store. I looked on the back of a box of Hershey's Cocoa and found this recipe. It is just a basic chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, but it is DIVINE. My husband and I both LOVE it and think it is the best cake ever. I will never make chocolate cake from a box again.
Top Review by Soozzee
This cake is excellent. I've used it for years and have recently made a couple of changes just to kick it up a notch! I use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup melted butter instead of the 1/2 cup oil. The butter adds richer flavor while the oil adds more moisture. I also use 1 cup very hot coffee instead of the 1 cup boiling water. The coffee just kicks up the chocolate flavor, you don't taste coffee at all. The frosting has good chocolate flavor. To Gloss it up a bit, I add 1 tablespoon light corn syrup to the melted butter, then add the rest of the ingredients as directed.
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE DIRECTIONS: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" round pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- Frost with "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting.
- This also makes about 30 cupcakes.
- FROSTING DIRECTIONS: Melt butter.
- Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency.
- Add more milk, if needed.