Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
German folklore says that eating herring at the stroke of midnight will bring luck in the new year. However, this can be eaten any time.
- 12 ounces creamed herring fillets
- 12 ounces pickled beets, drained and diced
- 1⁄4 cup beet liquid
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 1 apple, diced (crunchier the better)
- capers (optional)
- Cut herring into small pieces and place in bowl with cream and onions.
- Add beets and apple.
- Mix until cream sauce is a rosy color.
- Add beet liquid and onions and blend.
- Add capers to taste.