Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a chilled marinated German salad with pickled herring, potatoes, and other ingredients served over lettuce. Makes an excellent side dish or first course for other German foods. Note that the prep time does not include marination time.
- 1 (8 ounce) jar herring in wine sauce, drained and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled,diced,cooked (3 cups)
- 2 medium onions, minced (1 cup)
- 1 tart apple, pared,cored,and diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced cooked beet
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- lettuce leaf
- 1 egg, hard-cooked,sliced
- Combine herring, potatoes, onion, apple, beets, and pickle in a large bowl.
- Mix together vinegar, sugar, water and pepper in a cup; mix well.
- Pour over salad and toss gently; cover.
- Refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours for all flavors to blend, tossing once or twice.
- To serve, mound salad on lettuce leaves and garnish with egg slices.