Sue Lau's Note:
This is a chilled marinated German salad with pickled herring, potatoes, and other ingredients served over lettuce. Makes an excellent side dish or first course for other German foods. Note that the prep time does not include marination time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) jar herring in wine sauce, drained and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled,diced,cooked (3 cups)
- 2 medium onions, minced (1 cup)
- 1 tart apple, pared,cored,and diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced cooked beet
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- lettuce leaf
- 1 egg, hard-cooked,sliced
- 1Combine herring, potatoes, onion, apple, beets, and pickle in a large bowl.
- 2Mix together vinegar, sugar, water and pepper in a cup; mix well.
- 3Pour over salad and toss gently; cover.
- 4Refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours for all flavors to blend, tossing once or twice.
- 5To serve, mound salad on lettuce leaves and garnish with egg slices.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herring Salad
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 295.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herring in wine sauce