Recipe by Da Huz
Traditional Irish and Scottish dish. From "The Irish Kitchen" by B. W. Lennon and G. Campbell
- 8 herring fillets
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup oatmeal
- cooking oil
- 2 apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb rhubarb
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry the fillets. Remove bones if any.
- Chop oatmeal in food processor to reduce size if desired.
- Dredge herring fillets in flour, dip in beaten egg, coat evenly with oatmeal.
- Heat thin layer of oil in a skillet. Fry fillets until golden brown and cooked throughout. Drain on paper towel and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, core but do not peel the apples. Slice thinly. Melt butter in another pan and fry apple slices until just softened. Serve with fish.
- Meanwhile, cook rhubarb in 3/4 cup cold water until just soft. Puree and serve as a garnish.