Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another one of Suzanne's recipes. She made this for me after spending a few weeks in Holland. I love this stuff with juicy pork ribs or chops.
- Shred cabbage rather fine.
- Put in saucepan or steamer basket and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover pan and place over a low flame and steam until very tender.
- Beat the egg, add the sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar and pour over the steamed cabbage.
- Heat for 5 minutes and serve at once.
This was delicious. I used sweet and low instead of sugar. I served it with stuffed pork chops and wasn't sure how my husband would like the sweet and sour aspect but in his own words he 'wolfed it down'. I will definitely make this again.
Sweet-and-sauerkraut with eggs. ;-) Nice if you like it (which I do), horrible if you don't (like my wife). It's definitely a special taste. I notice that you do not actually say that this is a Dutch recipe; in fact, I am originally Dutch but cannot remember to have ever seen anything similar over there.