Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty soup from Anne Kangas of Minnesota, where there are many Americans of Finnish heritage. This is from Midwest Living's "All-Time Best Recipes" and is submitted for ZWT3.
- 5 whole allspice
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried split yellow peas or 2 cups dried split green peas
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed or 1 1⁄2 smoked pork hocks
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Form a spice bag by wrapping allspice in cheesecloth and tying with a string, or placing allspice in a stainless steal tea ball.
- In a soup kettle saucepan, combine water, peas, ham or pork hocks and allspice; bring to a boil, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper, return to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- If using pork hocks, remove and cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and coarsely chop.
- Return meat to soup, discard bones.
This was fantastic! Didn't have any ham so used bacon instead. Thanks for the recipe!