Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 lb hull-less split green peas, for better flavour and consistency
- 2 quarts water, cold
- 1 lb pork leg
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper, Ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- This Finnish pea soup can be made well in advance.
- You can double or triple the recipe and freeze it in useful quantities.
- Malla Karhusaari also suggests reducing the cooking time by using a pressure cooker or microwave to prepare it.
- Rinse peas and soak in cold water in large port for 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring peas and soaking water to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour or until peas begin to soften.
- Add pork and continue to simmer for two to three hours, until peas and meat ar thoroughly cooked.
- When meat is tender, remove it from pot, discard skin and bone, cut meat in cubes and return to soup.
- You may need to add more water to pot for desired consistency.
- Season with marjoram, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Heat to blend flavors and serve hot.