Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a cinnamon topping coffeecake made with the famous Herman starter. If you don't have your own Herman in the fridge, search for Herman starter here on recipezaar.com to get it started, or beg a cup from a friend who does. Well worth the little bit of extra effort! Topping ingredients are listed within the recipe to keep them separate from the batter ingredients.
- 2 cups herman starter, five days after last feeding
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Beat eggs; add sugar and oil, beating well.
- Add remaining dough ingredients (starter, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, milk, baking soda, salt, nuts &/or raisins) and beat 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed. (Note: This goes against my policy to not mix flour any more than necessary to get the dough to come together. I don't beat it this much myself.).
- Pour dough into greased 9x13 bakign pan.
- Combine the topping ingredients: 1T flour, 1t cinnamon, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter. Sprinkle topping over batter in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Check middle of cake for doneness; otherwise it may turn out soggy.
- Note: 1 teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger may be added as well. Another variation places the nuts in the topping and folds one cup of drained, crushed fruit (pineapple, peaches, etc) into the batter.