1 hr 15 mins
This delicious cake (and starter) should be shared with friends, who in turn share with their friends ... and on and on. Thus, often called a "Friendship Cake", it fills the house with an irresistible aroma and makes a lovely present for any Holiday. Although it takes about 3 weeks for the Starter to be ready to use, feeding Herman is very quick and easy. This recipe was given to me by a friend over 30 years ago, and I still enjoy sharing this Herman Cake & Starter (including recipe). Prep. time does not include making the Starter the very first time.
My Private Note
bundt c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2/3 cup cooking oil (I use canola)
- 1 cup nuts or 1 cup raisins, boiled & drained (I use pecans)
- 1STARTER: Stir Ingredients together, mixing well, in a gallon container.
- 2Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- 3Feed Herman the same 3 Starter ingredients (above) every 5 days for a total of 4 times (20 days).
- 4Stir Herman daily.
- 5When you are ready to bake a Herman Cake, you should have about eight cups of starter.
- 6Bake Herman cake (recipe below) on the 25th day from the first feeding.
- 7***Keep your own starter growing, use some to bake a Herman Cake, and give some to friends.
- 8***SHARING YOUR STARTER: If someone gives you a cup of Herman Starter, you must feed it for 10 days before you bake with it.
- 9Day 1: Feed Starter with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
- 10Stir, cover and refrigerate.
- 11Day 2-4: Stir.
- 12Leave in refrigerator.
- 13Day 5: Feed Starter again with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.
- 14Stir, cover and refrigerate.
- 15Day 6-9: Stir.
- 16Leave in refrigerator.
- 17***Herman should now be about 4 cups: use 2 cups to bake, give 1 cup to friend, and keep 1 cup to grow more Starter.
- 18***Day 10: MAKE HERMAN CAKE AS FOLLOWS: Mix all Herman Cake ingredients together, along with 2 cups of Herman Starter, and pour into a greased/floured bundt pan.
- 19Sprinkle top with Topping mixture.
- 20Bake 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- 21Or use a 15x19-2" pan and bake 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- 22TOPPING MIXTURE: Mix together all Topping ingredients and sprinkle over cake BEFORE baking.
- 23GLAZE: Mix all Glaze ingredients together and cook for 5 minutes.
- 24Pour over top of hot baked Herman Cake.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herman Coffee Cake Starter and Bread
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.1
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 392.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 46.3 g
- Protein 7.7 g