1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe I came up with after researching and reading lots of other recipes. I wanted to try and make jam without store bought pectin like our grandmothers used to make. I was also looking for a recipe that didn't have 4 cups of sugar and used honey or agave which has a lower glucose index than sugar. I think it came out really well. It is not as thick as other jams but all you taste is fresh strawberries. Also, because this doesn't have store bought pectin it takes longer than other jams to prepare but I think the result is worth the 20 - 40 minutes... My husband said it's like eating a dessert topping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash lemon well in soap and water
- 2hull and wash stawberries and put in large pot.
- 3put pot on medium - high heat.
- 4mash strawberries slightly with potato masher.
- 5add honey, lemon juice, butter and grated apple.
- 6after you have squeezed out all the lemon juice, cut a piece off about an inch wide or so and throw it in the pot.
- 7stir well and continue to mash stawberries while it boils.
- 8Keep at a rolling boil stirring often for 20- 40 minutes.
- 9The longer it boils the more it will thicken and get to the consistancy of jam.
- 10remember to stir.
- 11Skim off any foam with spoon ( I put this on a plate and ate -- yum :-)).
- 12After 20 minutes check to see if set with plate in freezer. ( see note following recipe).
- 13If not set continue to boil stirring frequently for 5 to 10 minutes and check to see if it's set again.
- 14Once it is set, pour into clean, sterilized jars and lids and process in large pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- 15Remember, the jars must be completely covered with boiling water to process correctly.
- 16Note: To test to see if the jam is set - place 3 - 4 little plates in the freezer when you begin making the jam. Then when you think it is ready, take a plate out and put about 1/2 teaspoon of jam on frozen plate. Run your finger through the middle, and angle plate - it should make a line through the jam and not run back together.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heritage Strawberry Jam
Serving Size: 1 (1526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 29.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: