Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
to add to the mix. With cheddar, Gruyere and Asiago (or Parm) cheese how can one go wrong? I haven't made this yet, but wanted to post for safe-keeping and share with the community. Saw this in the Oct., 2009 issue of Family Circle.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling and add penne. Cook 6 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, toss together the cheeses and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and slightly bubbly. In a thin stream, whisk in milk; add onion powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in 2 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture.
- In the pasta pot, stir together the cooked penne and the cheese sauce. Pour HALF into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the cheese. Spoon remaining penne into dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil and cook 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
Oh Suzanna....this is rich, creamy and soooo cheesy! I did have to sub the gruyere for smoked gouda and the parm with grana padano. Also added a wee bit of freshly grated nutmeg. This is absolutely what I needed. Says it serves 12...well....Dh and ate half for our dinner....lol This will be my guilty pleasure once in awhile...as it satisfies my yen for good cheeses in one fell swoop! Thank you for sharing!