1/4 Photos of Hereford Apple Dumplings
Posted for Zaar World Tour. This is a different apple dumpling recipe because it contains not only orange rind, but also some marmalade and sultanas to give an unusual twist to an old favourite. Recipe is adapted from "Favourite English recipes- Traditional fare from around the Counties'. Please note that these are made with the apples peeled and cored, but NOT sliced, since the filling is pushed in to the core space. They make a very stylish individual winter evening dessert...I make my pastry with my inherited Mean Chef Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial Mean's Classic Pie Crust and it is melt in your mouth georgous with this! ZWT REGION: England.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 400 F (200 C)(gas mark 6).
- 2Divide the pastry into 4 and then roll each piece out into a circle big enough to fully enclose one apple.
- 3Take each pastry circle and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar and place an apple in the middle. mix together sultanas, orange rind, marmalade and butter and then divide this mixture between the apples, filling up each core hole.
- 4Fold the pastry around each apple and seal firmly with a little water.
- 5Place them, upside-down, onto a greased baking sheet and decorate the tops with leftover pastry bits cut into leaf shapes.
- 6Brush with milk and sprinkle a little sugar to glaze.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes and then turn down the oven temperature to 350 F (180 C) (gas mark 4) for a further 30 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.
- 8Serve with a little of the additional marmalade that has been warmed to make a sauce or with custard or cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hereford Apple Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 554.7
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 426.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of