Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Regular vegetable soup is pretty boring. If you like things a little more interesting, give this lovely little soup a shot. The portions are small, but this recipe is easily doubled, tripled. Use your own judgement.
- cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb, such as parsley chives and oregano
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- Heat a large pan and spray with cooking oil. Add onion, carrots, celery and potato. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Rinse pearl barley, then add to the pan together with the stock and bouquet garni and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, until veggies are tender. Discard the bouquet garni, stir in milk and heat for 3 minutes (gently). STir in chopped fresh herbs and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Add a bit of yogurt to each bowl before serving.
- If you're not worried about a vegetarian vegetable soup, use chicken stock.
- Bouquet garni can be substituted for 3 stalks parsley, 1 sprig thyme and 1 bay leaf.
- I substitute pearl barley for quick cooking, but cook time needs to be increased to 30-35ish minutes.