This is a mild, very lightly dressed bean salad that relies on fresh herbs for its flavor. While you could probably use whatever herbs you like, one thing I would not do is substitute dried for fresh. I like this as-is or over hot or cold pasta. My husband likes to mix tuna into his. I came up with this as I was out the door one day and couldn't be bothered to look up a recipe - since I only had 15 minutes or I'd be late for work, it literally takes only minutes to prepare. I used Kraft Light Done Right Zesty Italian in this. While you can eat this right away, it's much better after refrigerating for at least a few hours.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney)
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salad seasoning, to taste (purchase in spice aisle "or" use one of the recipes posted at Recipezaar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced,to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled,to taste
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, shredded,to taste
- Gently and thoroughly combine all ingredients except cheeses in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to develop (at least a few hours, overnight is better).
- Gently stir in cheeses before serving.