Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I made this wonderful recipe from Christopher Styler's "Smokin" Cookbook, shortly after getting our new Cameron stovetop smoker (which we love--thanks TxGriffLover!). To smoke the chicken, please refer to TxGriffLover's Stove Top Smoker Boneless Chicken Breasts (With or Without Skin) 293665. We thought this recipe was very tasty. My father-in-law was also impressed by the smoky flavor that was imparted from the stovetop smoker as he is used to outdoor smoking. We used alder in this recipe and began smoking the chicken shortly after starting the piperade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced smoked ham (1/4 inch dice)
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced 1/2 inch
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips (cores, seeds, membranes removed)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips (cores, seeds, membranes removed)
- 1/2 cup dried mushroom
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- four 7-oz smoked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon mushroom, herb rub
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple wood chips (can use cherry or alder wood)
- 1For the Mushroom-Herb Rub: Grind all rub ingredients to a powder in a small electric spice mill (makes about 3 Tb).
- 2For the piperade: Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Sitr in the onions, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the red and yellow peppers and season them lightly with salt. Adjust the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until they are very tender and sweet, about 30 minutes. The piperade can be made several hours in advance and reheated over low heat.
- 3For the chicken: To smoke the chicken, pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Massage the herb rub into both sides of the breasts, dividing the rub evenly. Set up the smoker using the wood chips and smoke the chicken breasts according to the directions in Stove Top Smoker Boneless Chicken Breasts (With or Without Skin) 293665.
- 4Reheat the piperade if necessary. Serve the chicken nestled into a bed of piperade.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herby Chicken Breasts With Piperade (Stovetop Smoker)
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 878.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: