Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I like this stew because the potatoes are not part of the stew, but served on the side instead.
Make and share this Herby Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 lbs steak, cubed
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 24 fluid ounces hearty beef stock
- 8 fluid ounces strong black coffee
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- mashed potatoes
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan; add the onions and carrots and cook over a medium heat for about 8 minutes, until softened and lightly browned.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate or dish and reserve.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the beef cubes.
- Increase the heat and cook until the meat is browned all over.
- If necessary, fry the meat in batches to ensure it browns evenly; season to taste.
- Return the vegetables to the pan and stir in the flour and the remaining oil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock, coffee, oregano and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until thickened; reduce the heat to very low.
- Cover the pan and allow the stew to simmer very gently for at least 1 or 1½ hours until the beef is tender.
- Add the peas and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf; taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes.