Ethan UK's Note:
A very different mashed potato. How my mum used to do it when I was a kid. Sweet and herby, goes great with poultry or fish (probably pork too), with mustard and pickles. Herbs can be varied to suit what you're serving it with.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g potatoes, Cubed
- 2 cooking apples or 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- oregano or basil or marjoram or parsley or ginger or nutmeg or clove, to taste
- lemon juice (optional) or lime juice (optional) or vinegar, to taste (optional)
- 1Wash the potatoes and peel if preferred. Mum did, I don't. I think they're much nicer unpeeled. All the vitamin C is in the peel.
- 2Cube potatoes and boil until soft - about 8 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place apples and a little water into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes until soft. Alternatively boil apples and a little water in a saucepan.
- 4When potatoes are cooked, drain, return to saucepan and add butter or oil.
- 5Mash potatoes, removing all lumps.
- 6Mash softened apples slightly with a fork and stir into mashed potato.
- 7Add chosen herb or herbs. My personal favourite is sprinkles of oregano and basil plus a pinch of garlic powder or onion seeds. Was unable to add Chinese 5-Spice when entering ingredients for some reason, but that can be nice too sometimes, especially with fish.
- 8Return pan of mashed potatoes to stove and heat gently for a couple of minutes to warm them back up again and serve.
- 9Sometimes a little milk can be good in with this when re-heating after the mashing. Once more it kind of depends what you're serving it with.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herby Apple Mashed Potato
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.0
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g