Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
After New Years, I had leftover ham and wanted to use it up. I love Herbs de provence, potatoes, ham and peas and decided to make a quick and easy casserole, based on scalloped potatoes. This is a very versatile recipe, layered like scalloped potatoes it works beautifully. In a hurry, make it the casserole way, just throw all the ingredients except for the garnish in a large bowl and mix well. Next pour the mixture into a prepared dish, garnish and place in the oven as is. (If you are making it this way you may want to coarsly chop the onions and ham) It is a very tasty dish prepared either way.
- 2 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, small, sweet, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup peas, frozen, small, young
- 1 -2 cup ham, cooked, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk, 2%
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 1 teaspoon mustard, dijon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sea
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, white
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, old, grated
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, old, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- Cheese Sauce:.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour, then slowly add the milk and half & half cream.
- Season with mustard, salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence.
- Cook the sauce on medium heat, stirring until smooth and boiling.
- Lower the heat and add the cheese, mix until melted, then remove from heat and set aside until required.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a lightly greased dish, layer half the potatoe slices, then scatter the onion and peas on top.
- Next layer all the ham slices overtop of the potatoes.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the ham and potatoe mixture.
- Layer the remaining potatoes ontop then pour the rest of the cheese sauce, garnishing with the rest of the cheese and herbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350 % oven, uncovered for 50 - 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. I start checking after 40 minutes.
- This is wonderful served with fresh crusty bread and your favorite white wine.
YUMMY!!! Made this for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #88 tag game and this was great. I made as instructed and I have never used Herbs De Provence in a scallop/ham recipe and it gave this a great flavor. DH inhaled it so there was nothing left. Will be making this again. Thank you for posting.
This was excellent as a main dish. I doubled the recipe and we had some leftovers for lunch. Sauce thins while cooking to perfection. I cooked onion before adding. Yum!
I served this as a side dish to roast chicken and steamed greens, for dietary reasons I did sub spring onion (green part) for the onion otherwise made as directed and had with roast chicken and steamed greens, thank you Baby Kato, made for ZAAR Stars tag game..