Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Vegetarian Times. Delicious focaccia bread with whole wheat flour for added nutrition. Can also prepare the dough in a bread machine.
- NOTE: homemade herbes de Provence is easy to make. **Very important to use a herbes de Provence recipe that has lavender. Some recipes do not specify it.
- In a small bowl, stir the sugar and yeast into 1 1/2 cups warm water. Allow to stand 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes bubbly.
- In a food processor or large bowl, combine both flours and the salt. Add the yeast mixture and process until soft dough forms. Pour 4 tablespoons of the olive oil through the feed tube while the motor is running. Process 2 minutes more or until dough pulls from the side of the processor.
- Transfer dough to bowl coated with olive oil, cover with clean kitchen cotton towel and proof 45 minutes in warm spot.
- Prepare a baking sheet by coating with oil. Pat the dough into an 11 x 13-inch rectangle. (The shape doesn't have to be perfect because this is a rustic bread.) Cover with clean cotton towel and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place oven rack on lowest level. With your fingertips, gently poke holes randomly all over the bread dough. Brush focaccia with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with the herbes de Provence and a little bit of salt.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes or until both the top and bottom of bread are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let set for 15 minutes before slicing. (We don't slice however, we grab and tear.).
I used my bread machine through the dough cycle to make this wonderful bread. It was my first experience with Herbes De Provence seasoning, but won't be my last. The bread was perfect... great texture, chewy, and delicious. Thank you Cookgirl!