Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe is easy to prepare and very tasty. I am not by a long shot a zucchini lover but I like it prepared this way.
Top Review by Michelle S.
I am always looking for a new way to fix vegetables that is loaded with taste and this is one of them! I chose to leave out the crumbled bacon as I was afraid it would overpower the delicate flavor of the zucchini, but I loved the subtle flavor the bacon grease added to the dish. The herbs add a subtle undertone that compliments all the vegetables perfectly. The tender yet crisp texture of the zucchini adds yet another dimension to the chewiness of the melted cheese and the soft tomato/celery/onion/herb mixture. I will make this as often as I feel I can get away with it. I could eat it as a meal all by myself. Thanks Irmgard for sharing this spectacular recipe.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried summer savory, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Drain the bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Cook the chopped onion and celery in the bacon drippings until tender but not brown.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes, parsley, sage, savory, oregano and pepper.
- Add the sliced zucchini.
- Bring the vegetable mixture to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon.