Prep 30 mins
Cook 144 hrs
Herbed yogurt cheese balls make a nice first course,served on thick slices of fresh tomato or with different breads a very nice lunch. They look great in a bottle with herbs, tie a ribbon on and give them as gifts--your friends will love them!!
- 2 1⁄2 quarts plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- finely chopped mint
- finely chopped marjoram
- finely chopped tarragon (other herbs of your choice can be used)
- olive oil
- Line 2 large strainers with scalded cheesecloth and place over receptacle bowls to catch the drainage.
- Whisk the salt into the yogurt and pour into strainers.
- Leave to drain overnight, it will become a soft, creamy curd.
- Mold this into small rounds, place them on a perforated dish and leave them in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- The cheeses can be eaten right away, sprinkled with the chopped herbs or paprika and served on thick slices of fresh tomato.
- If you want to keep them, leave them in the refrigerator for another 2 to 4 days, depending on how creamy you want them to be, then pack them into sterilized jars with herbs and cover with olive oil, store in a cool place.