Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Yogurt cheese is a wonderful substituion for butter or margerine on crackers, bread etc.(Look at the calories) I love this herbed version on crostini, garnish with some parsley. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Use it plain or add your own favorite ingredients. No Fat yogurt works well - Make sure that the yogurt you use does not have geletin in it or it won't work.
- 8 ounces yogurt (Only use yogurt that contains no gelatin or it won't work)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, green & white parts
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finelychopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & pepper
- First put a paper towel in the bottom of a strainer, put the strainer in a bowl with at least a 2" clearance on the bottom, put the yogurt in the lined strainer, cover with plastic wrap& place in the fridge over night orup to 2 days.
- Drain & discard fluid Place the yogurt cheese in a bowl add remaining ingredients stir and enjoy Store the cheese in the fridge.
Awesome! I am so happy with this recipe. Simple, but really adds pizzaz to HEALTHY yogurt cheese. I use a yogurt cheese funnel to make the cheese; it "drained" for 13 hours, then I added the herbs and let it meld in the refrigerator for about 6 hours before tasting. Used the dried basil, and fresh parsley. Wow! We loved it. Half of it was served with pita as an appetizer for a Middleastern dinner party, and was sprinkled with parsley and roasted pine nuts (both finely chopped). It disappeared! Thanks, Bergy for yet another winner!
another great one from bergy!!! my husband is from isreal and they make a similar cheese from yogurt called lebani. this is great and easy, just the right amount of spices! thanks bergy for another fab! polly