Recipe by Olha
Shaped the same as cinnamon rolls, these delicious, savory pinwheels are great for a buffet dinner.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water, 105-115 F
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk, scalded and cooled to 105-115 F
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups bread flour or 2 -2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add sugar and let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams. Stir in the milk, butter, brown sugar, salt, and whole wheat flour. Add bread flour gradually to make a stiff dough; turn out onto lightly floured board and knead in remaining flour until dough is smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes. Wash bowl, grease it, add dough to bowl, turn over to grease top, cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. Saute green onions in butter over low heat until soft but not browned, about 10 minutes. Punch dough down and, on a lightly oiled surface, roll out a 12 x 16 inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with the onion and then with the dill weed. Roll lengthwise jellyroll fashion. Slice into 1 inch pieces and arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet, slightly apart. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush with glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Pre-heat oven to 375 F., bake rolls until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 16 pinwheels.
- HERBED SWIRL BREAD: (One 10 inch Bundt loaf.) Prepare Herbed Whole Wheat Pinwheels as directed but cut the slices into 2-inch pieces and place into well greased Bundt pan with cut ends down. Push slices as close together as possible. Cover and let rise until doubled about 1 hour. Brush with glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Preheat oven to 375°F Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until golden.
- Great Whole Breads. B. Ojakangas.