Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Wonderfull hot casserole for a summer BBQ, delicious! from Canadian Living mag.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 new potatoes, scrubbed,unpeeled,cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 sweet red peppers or 3 green peppers, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced (each about 6 inches long)
- 4 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- sage sprig (optional)
- Using some of the butter, grease 10 cup baking dish.
- Arrange half the potato slices in overlapping rows in dish.
- Dot with a little of the butter and sprinkle with a pinch of sage, tarragon and salt to taste, layer with half the red peppers, half the onion, half the rice and half the zucchini.
- Dot with butter, sprinkle with sage, tarragon and salt to taste. Repeat the layers. Arrange the tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in 350f degree oven for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and bake for about 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand, covered for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with sage sprigs, (if using).
Dorothy, We just loved this recipe. When I was putting it together, I really had doubts as to whether this would be to our taste with such a mix of veggies. Was I wrong! The sage just seems to make it work really well. I used homemade butter which gave it such a rich taste. Thanks for posting!! Barb