7 hrs 20 mins
3 hrs 50 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Lizzie Rodriquez's Note:
Make the garlic herb rub up to a day ahead and rub under the skin of the turkey, then let the turkey chill. After you cook the turkey, cover it with foil to keep it warm whiel you bake the sweet potato casserole and sourdough stuffing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2To prepare garlic-herb rub place first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until finely minced.
- 3To prepare turkey, remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap garlic head in foil. Set aside.
- 4Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water, pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers gently pushing between skin and meat. Spread garlic-herb nib under loosened skin and rub over breast and drumsticks. Gently press skin to secure. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.
- 5Place turkey on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Add garlic head to pan, bake an additional 2 hours or until thermometer registers 180. Place turkey on a platter, reserving pan drippings, let stand 20 minutes. Discard skin.
- 6To prepare gravy, place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 4- cup glass measure. Pour pan drippings into bag, let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into glass measure, stopping before fat layer reaches opening (you should have about 2/3 cups). Reserve 1 tablespoon fat; discard remaining fat. Add enough broth to drippings to measure 3 cups; reserve remaining broth for another use.
- 7Separate roasted garlic cloves, squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins, Heat reserved fat in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic pulp and flour; cook 30 seconds or until lightly browned whisking constantly. Gradually add broth mixture, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Turkey With Roasted Garlic Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.5
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 308.7 mg
- Sodium 482.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 94.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: