Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A different French Tomato Provencale. Use summer vine-ripened for best taste. ZWT3.
- 6 firm ripe fleshy tomatoes (about 2 lb)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Remove stems of tomatoes.
- Cut tomatoes in two half.
- Squeeze out seeds and juice. Add salt and pepper.
- Blend rest of ingredients together in a bowl.
- Fill each tomato with mixture.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with olive oil.
- In a baking or gratin dish, arrange tomatoes not too close to each other.
- Bake tomatoes in oven for 15 minutes and NO LONGER!
- Remove immediately.
Delicious! I saved a step by mixing olive oil, salt, and pepper into the filling rather than drizzling it onto tomatoes first. I used rye bread crumbs, which looked like and had the texture of ground meat. My family and I are new to the vegetarian scene so this was a good transition recipe.
A nice side dish, easy to make and soooo tasty with all the fresh tomatoes and herbs. I used finely chopped red onion instead of shallots and fresh thyme along with the parsley and basil; sprinkled a little extra parmesan on top of the mixture! Yummy!
This is a light quick and easy lunch or side dish. I used #134615, 3 cloves garlic, added some fresh thyme. Skipped the salt. Thanks