Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A flavourful vegetarian soup. Filling and nourishing and very tasty.
- 3⁄4 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight,cooked until tender (or use 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot (about 1 medium)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
- 1 small whole bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- crumbled dried basil
- Heat butter or olive oil over medium heat and saute garlic, onions and carrot until translucent; add pepper, herbs and tomatoes and bring to boil (note: I puree my tomatoes in the blender, but you can use them whole and break them up as they cook for more texture); reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, breaking up tomatoes as they cook; mix in chickpeas and broth; taste and adjust seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes to blend flavours; add more broth or water to thin, if necessary; serve with a sprinkle of dried, crumbled basil.
This was such yummy soup, and so easy. I love chickpeas and I love tomatoes, and the herbs just add that extra bit. I also gave it an extra bit-some Tabasco.
Lovely and easy soup! I only used 2 ts of butter to cut down calories (and Points!) and while I do realize it will also affect the taste, I think it worked fine. I also added a bit of chili sauce for a bit of heat! This will definitely become a lunch staple for me. Thanks for sharing Evelyn! :-)
Thanks for a fast, easy, delicious soup w/ two of my favorite things-tomatoes & garbanzos! Used fresh Lemon Boy yellow tomatoes from my garden, which I had already grilled whole on the barbeque along with peppers for another recipe. Lovely to eat and to present at table. Thanks, I'll be making this often!