Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My sister gave me this recipe back in 2001 and I have used it for may events. Also enclosed is the gravy for it,. Enjoy!!!
- 20 lbs whole turkey
Place in cheesecloth and set aside
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, mince 3 Tbs chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, mince 3 Tbs chopped
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon, mince 3 Tbs chopped
Mix and set aside
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, from above
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, from above
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, from above
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
Balance of ingredients
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups chicken broth, low salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, low salt
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- Clean bird and pat dry inside and out. Place in large roasting pan on a rack. Place cheesecloth in cavity of bird .
- Brush bird with oil , rub set aside mixture on to bird.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees, drizzle butter over bird. Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into pan. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover breast with foil, reduce oven to 325 degrees. Return bird to oven, roast for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, pour 2 cups of chicken broth into pan. Roast until 180 degrees in the thickest part of thigh, about 1 hour and 40 minutes, baste every 10 minutes.
- Transfer bird to plater, tent with foil. Let stand 30 minutes, reserve liquid in pan for gravy.
- Mix flour and sherry to a smooth paste,.
- Melt butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and rosemary. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Spoon fat from bird drippings and transfer to large glass measuring cup. Add chicken broth to make 5 cups of liquid. Add to mushrooms. Add flour paste and wisk until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- Mix in cream, thyme and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper if needed,.