Recipe by kleigh83
this is a quick and easy dish that is great if you don't enjoy eating your veggies. check out my other great vegetarian recipes!
Top Review by Wileysmom
I thought this was really good. I used about a half of a 9 oz. bag of fresh spinach instead of canned and added about half of a large chopped fresh tomato that I had left over from lunch, with the spinach . My husband thought that there was too much yellow pepper. But I thought it was just about right. In any case, there weren't any leftovers. Next time I will add the whole bag of fresh spinach. It wilts down to nothing. I give this five stars because this is a good basic recipe that can be played with. Sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers or calmata olives, come to mind. A sprinkle of feta cheese might be substituted for parmesan. I will make it again.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1⁄2 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 medium red peppers (cut into strips red or yellow makes dish much more colorful) or 1 medium yellow peppers (cut into strips red or yellow makes dish much more colorful) or 1 medium green pepper (cut into strips red or yellow makes dish much more colorful)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) canwhole spinach leaves (well drained)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and keep warm.
- Cook onion, garlic, and basil in oil in skillet until onion is tender.
- Add pepper strips and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach: heat through.
- Toss with pasta and top with fresh parmesan cheese (if desired).