Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh orange mint replaced standard variety of garden mint for a little different twist to the salad. *Fresh herbs only*, please! I don't know any reason why you couldn't substitute other seasonal berries in this salad: raspberries, blackberries, etc. From calgiant.com.
- 10 -12 ounces romaine lettuce hearts, cored and roughly chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange mint leaf, chopped
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered lengthwise
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, cut into thin slices (sprinkle lemon juice to stop the avocado from browning)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, roasted
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together at least 1 hour before serving.
- Roast pistachios and set aside to cool.
- Gently toss the romaine lettuce with the tarragon, orange mint and strawberries.
- Arrange mixture on salad plates.
- Add the feta and avocado slices.
- Garnish with pistachios and serve with the dressing.
- Pass the pepper mill, if desired.
Many nice and fresh flavors in this salad. I used fresh garden mint but could not find the taragon so got the best dried I could find and added it to the dressing so it could release its flavor. Loved the look of the strawberries. Made for ZWT 9 and I'll make this again.
Spinach with strawberries and feta, I'm already in heaven! Adding the fresh herbs and avocado took it to a whole new level! The dressing was light and did not overpower the rest of the salad. This is one I'll be making a lot in the summertime. Thanks Cookgirl! Made for ZWT6 by a fellow Looney Spoon :)
Niceee!! OK so I did change it a bit. I didn't realise when I tagged this recipe that it said orange mint which I have no idea where I can get such. I used fresh mint from the garden instead and did not add tarragon!! I liked the crunch and taste the roasted pistachios in this which I did myself in a 350F oven. I used unsalted pistachios, baby red romaine with less baby spinach leaves, goats milk feta cheese, I sprinkled the avocado slices with freshly squeezed orange juice and added a little to the dressing to incorporate an orange flavour while still fresh. I used an unpasteurised local honey and instead of shallots I used green onions another mistake when tagging but none-the-less, good. I used sea salt and an unrefined extra virgin olive oil. The dressing was light as noted by another reviewer. I would make this again as written but probably omit the fresh tarragon again. Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.