Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken cavity and reserve them for another use.
- Trim away any excess fat.
- Chop together the parsley, rosemary, fennel seeds, and 3 of the garlic cloves.
- Place the mixture in a small bowl and add the salt, a generous grind of pepper, and the oil.
- Place about one third of the mixture inside the chicken cavity along with the remaining 5 garlic cloves.
- Spread the rest of the herb mixture over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with the shallots.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, or until the chicken is tender and the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh measures 165° on an instant read thermometer.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces and serve with the cooking juices.