Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This came from the May 2005 issue of Family Circle magazine. I tried it a couple nights ago. It makes the perfect meal for three.
- 1 whole chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds
- 1⁄2 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 8 sprigs of various fresh herbs such as savory or 8 sprigs thyme or 8 sprigs oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 450°F Place rack in shallow baking pan.
- Gently separate skin from breasts of chicken. Under skin, slide 2 lemon slices, a few slices of garlic, 2 sage leaves and a few sprigs of fresh herbs. Place remaining lemon and herbs in cavity. Season outside and cavity of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on rack in pan. Roast at 450°F for 50 minuts or until internal temperature measures 170°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh meat.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
Great roasted chicken. I used rosemary as the herb. I also added a half onion to the chicken cavity. I served this with recipe #169021 and recipe #37039. Very nice dinner!