Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
After the holidays we need some healthy food.
- 1 1⁄2 cups peas or 1 1⁄2 cups green beans
- 3 cups cold cooked quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled low-fat goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint or 1⁄4 cup basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 1⁄3 cup chopped shallot
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted cooled pine nuts
- To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water or stock to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of quinoa.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.
- Drain off any remaining liquid.
- Fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- Allow to cool before combining in salad.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, bring one quart water to a boil.
- Add the peas.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, or until tender; do not overcook.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the quinoa in a large bowl.
- Add the peas, goat cheese, parsley, basil, tarragon and chives.
- Toss lightly.
- In a cup, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Pour over the salad.
- Top with pine nuts.
I'm a big fan of quinoa, I've only started eating it lately, but it's my new favorite "side-dish" even if I eat it as a main dish. I do have to admit that I am not a fan of goat's cheese, so I used a really good sheep's milk feta. The sharpness of the cheese went beautifully with the nutty flavor of the quinoa. Before squeezing the juice out of the lemon I zested it and also tossed the zest in with the parsley. The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of pine nuts, but that's a joke in this family, I topped it all with about 1/2 cup of pine nuts, which we all fought over, of course. Rita, thanks for helping me to add another quinoa recipe to my repetoire!
I enjoyed this fresh, healthy salad. I chose peas, as I had frozen ones. I did toast the quinoa in a iron skillet, then added water. Thanks Rita!
I served this as a warm salad with bacon instead of cheese and it was great - it also could be served hot or cold and would be yummy . I toasted my quinoa first and it certainly reduces the earthy flavour, All the herbs were freshly snipped from my garden. Made for ZWT 7.