Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adopted recipe - I love pumpkin soup, so I'm looking forward to making and editing this recipe!
- 1⁄4 lb split peas
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb chunked fresh pumpkin, with out peel
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup chopped yellow sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 -2 slice crumbled cooked bacon (to taste, leave out if making vegetarian) (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse split peas in cold water then add to stock in a large, heavy pot.
- Add pumpkin and remaining ingredients except for the parsley garnish.
- Simmer gently, partly covered, until peas and pumpkin are tender.
- Remove half of the soup from the pot and, either using a blender or immersion blender, puree half of the soup.
- Re-combine the pureed soup with the other half, and stir in 1/2 cup half and half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot, garnished with parsley.