Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great creamy version of an old favorite. Freezes well
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup milk
- 2 -4 tablespoons neufchatel cheese (optional) or 2 -4 tablespoons cream cheese (optional)
- In a soup pot, saute the onions, celery and salt in the butter for 5 minutes on a medium high heat.
- Add the potatoes, water, dill and marjoram, cover and bring them to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes In a blender in batches, puree the vegetable mixture with the milk and if using the Neufchatel or cream cheese.
- Return the soup to the pot and gently reheat.
Wonderful Soup! Was the perfect supper last night as it was so cold outside. I used half and half for the milk to make it even creamier, and I added the cream cheese. I think it made a nice texture. Seasonings are just right, all we needed were salt and pepper. DH says we can have this again! Thanks, Tish!!
A very flavorful potato soup with a nice texture. I love cream cheese, so I didn't bother to figure out how much 4 TBS were I just put in 4 ounces, which was the half I had left over from another recipe. Thanks for the recipe Tish!
Easy, flavorful, and freezes well. I used what I had on hand which was russet potatoes, fresh marjoram and cream cheese. Very nice, Tish. Thanks.