Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The ultimate comfort food...concocted when I was sick and craving nourish for the body and soul.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- dried shiitake mushroom, sliced
- spinach, roughly chopped
- In a soup pot, saute the onions, celery and salt in the butter for 5 minutes on a medium high heat.
- Add the potatoes, water, dill and marjoram, cover and bring them to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes Add the milk and cream cheese and puree using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.
- To the blended soup add the shitake mushrooms and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are reconstituted.
- Or, add spinach and pre-reconstituted mushrooms directly to your soup bowls, top with cheddar cheese (or monterey jack) and then ladle in your soup.
- Serve hot. Delicious with garlic bread.
This was pretty tasty. I made a few changes based on what I had on hand. I used regular white mushrooms which I sauteed before adding to the soup. I also had leftover potatoes which I used up and substituted savory for dill. The milk had gone bad so I used half and half. I pureed it in a food processor before adding the cream cheese, spinach, mushrooms and half and half. My husband really liked it and I will definitely make this again. Thanks.