A tasty potato dish for those occasions when you just don’t have much time and you are looking for a shortcut. The potatoes are not peeled, there is no onion or garlic to peel and chop, mince or crush and all the herbs are dried. Preparation involves little more than pre-heating the oven, getting your dried herbs out of the cupboard and cutting the potatoes into thin slices. Vary the herbs according to your preferences. This dish is best made just before serving. I was inspired to develop this recipe, the particular combination of herbs, from memories of a similar dish I ate many years ago in a restaurant in Hampstead Heath, in England, so it is, I suppose an English-Australian recipe. It was served with Onion, Apple and Sage Pie. In view of Bekah49036's comment in her review that her potatoes were too salty, do add salt to taste. People's tastes differ SO much! I've adjusted the two salts in the ingredients to now read "to taste". Thanks Bekah49036! :)
- Pre-heat the oven to a high temperature.
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the potato slices on well-greased oven trays.
- Brush the potato slices with oil and a sprinkling of the pepper and herbs. (Alternatively you can combine the oil, the pepper and the herbs in a bowl and toss the potato slices in the oil/herb mixture until they are well-coated - but this would take longer.).
- Bake the potato slices for about 20 minutes or until they are well-browned and crisp.
- Sprinkle with combined salts and serve.