Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
- 1 (4 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 -7 carrots, sliced
- 2 medium turnips, cubed
- 3 cups rutabagas, cubed (can just add 3 more turnips)
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- kitchen bouquet browning sauce (or another browning and seasoning sauce)
- 1 box couscous
- Trim excess fat if necessary; rub Kitchen Bouquet all over the meat.
- Put in large pot or dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with marjoram, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic; add cider and water.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until fork tender.
- Add vegetables, parsley and, if necessary, 1/4 cup liquid (equal parts cider/water).
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beef is just about ready to fall apart.
- Make the cous-cous according to the directions on the box.
- Remove the roast and add the cous-cous to the veggies.
- Mix and let sit a few minutes.