Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can also knead this by hand if you do not have a mixer.
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for "working" the dough)
- 7 ounces warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (for pizza, oregano, parsley, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- Dissolve the yeast in the water until foamy (about 10 minutes).
- Place in mixer bowl and add salt, herbs, dried tomatoes and flour.
- Knead on low (speed 2 on Kitchen Aid) until ball forms and climbs up dough hook (takes about 5 minutes).
- Place in bowl that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Cover and set in a warm place to rise (1-2 hours).
- Makes a crust for a large (12" or more) pizza.
- You can probably knead this by hand for 10 minutes and get the same results.
- I topped the pizza with onions I dredged in flour and lightly sauteed in some cooking spray and some cooked, sliced potato.
- Baked on a perforated pizza pan for 20 minutes at 425F.
This was really good--I used mostly wheat flour and doubled the recipe. USed oregano and garlic powder, as well as a little minced garlic, AND the sun-dried tomatoes called for in the recipe. I have made this twice now and both times I thought it was very good. I topped one pizza (since I doubled it I had two pizzas) with pesto and tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, and the other pizza with plain pizza sauce, tomatoes and yellow squash. Thanks for the great recipe Evangelia!
OOPS!! I also made pizza sauce tonight and combined my reveiw for that...the shiraz has nothing to do with this recipe! pardon my air-headed-ness. (thats how good this dough is)
This turned out to be a very tender and crispy pizza dough. We wanted a dough that would work for pizzas on the grill...as seen on a food network show...these worked great! They didnt stick to the grill and were the perfect texture for any style of cooking. A few changes...I didnt have bread flour.only regular..soo rising time took a tad longer (no worries though cause I knew what was up) and we didnt do the sun dried tomatoes. We will deffinately be repeating this recipe. Note...texture was not initially what I expected but that may be why it was a nice crisp dough.