12 hrs 30 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
From the Book: The Gourmet Toaster Oven: Simple and Sophisticated Meals for the Busy Cook by Lynn Alley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1/2 lb chicken tenders
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves or 1/4 cup fresh rosemary needles
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1In a shallow dish, mix together the buttermilk, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the oil.
- 2Place the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture and coat them thoroughly.
- 3Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk mixture overnight in the refrigerator.
- 4Preheat the toaster oven to 425°F.
- 5In a food processor, mix the oats, red pepper flakes, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, Parmesan, and basil.
- 6Pulse until the oats are partially powdered.
- 7Alternatively, mix the ingredients together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- 8Place the oat mixture on a plate.
- 9Shake any excess buttermilk off the chicken and dredge to coat each piece thoroughly.
- 10For easy clean-up, cover the toaster oven baking tray with aluminum foil and lightly spray it with oil. (Check your manufacturer's instructions, however, for any cautions against the use of aluminum foil in your toaster oven.).
- 11Place the chicken pieces on the tray so that they are not touching one another.
- 12Spray the chicken pieces lightly with oil and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the meat, until the crust is golden brown and crispy.
- 13Remove the chicken from the toaster oven and serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold over a salad.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Oven-Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.0
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 90.2 mg
- Sodium 2266.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 44.7 g