Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is my favorite homemade dressing recipe. I make it every year for the holidays and always get lots of compliments. It has a very fresh flavor from all the vegetables and herbs.
- 2 loaves firm-textured white bread, end pieces discarded, bread torn into bite-size pieces (1-pound)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 large celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 3 1⁄2 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten to blend
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 350.
- Place bread pieces in large baking pan.
- Bake until lightly toasted and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Butter 9X13 glass baking dish.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions, celery, bay leaves, poultry seasoning and thyme.
- Cover; cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Discard bay laves.
- Transfer to large bowl and cool.
- Add bread to vegetables in bowl.
- (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add stock, chopped parsley and eggs and stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish, packing down gently.
- Bake dressing until firm and light brown, about 50 minutes.